.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Friday, September 24, 2004

Asking for Forgiveness

In the spirit of Yom Kippur, we are supposed to ask for forgiveness from those whom we might have intentionally or unintentionally hurt during the year. In return, we are supposed to forgive those who have hurt us during the year. I think both of these are hard to do, however, I have always felt that it is more difficult to really forgive someone than to ask for forgiveness. I think this is because, while we can forgive, we cannot really forget. The hurt that is in our hearts may have subsided, we may have moved on, but it is extremely difficult to really forget the pain we went through. But I think it is important to try our best to forgive those who have hurt us, and I usually do this by forcing myself to realize that, for the vast majority of those people who have hurt me, that was not their intention at all. The other part of Yom Kippur is the asking of forgiveness from G-d. I think it is absolutely amazing that Hashem loves us so much that by our asking Him for forgiveness, our slate is wiped clean. It is extremely powerful to know that Hashem continues to bless us with all the amazing things we have in our lives - and just the fact that we are alive - despite the many times we do things that are not what He would wish. I think the key to our forgiving is keeping in mind how Hashem forgives us. We should strive to emulate His kind and beneficent nature in our interactions with others. I ask forgiveness from anyone who I have hurt, intentionally or unintentionally. And I wish everyone an easy and truly meaningful Yom Kippur!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home