.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

My New Job

I started my job on Monday. It is always hard getting into a new job - acclimating yourself, learning everyone's names, finding your way around, and most of all - understanding what you are doing. I was used to being the "expert" in my last job - I knew what I was doing, I had a lot of knowledge about the subject matter, and I knew who or where to go to find answers to my questions. So it is hard to come into a completely new place and have to learn everything from scratch. Especially in my situation, where the industry I am now working in is completely different from any I have worked before. My first day, for the first half of the day, I sat there wondering if I had made the right decision about jobs. I felt like a fish out of water, and I was floundering. But then I went into my boss's office to ask her a question, and completely unrelated, she gave me a speech about how important it was to do a good job, be fair, and be nice. She told me that money is good, but how we treat our customers, employees and everyone else we come in contact with is more important. She said that the people who work in our company are all good, kind, friendly people. Then she said she thought I would fit into that well. Suddenly, I felt like I was in the right place. It is a great feeling. On my third day, I still have a ton to learn, and it is slow going. But I feel good about working here, I think it is a good environment and that I made the right decision. And that makes it easy to come to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home