.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Happy Birthday, Bro!

My baby brother is 18 years old today. What does that mean? He can legally vote. And, oh yeah, I am getting kind of old. I haven't lived in the same city as my brother for quite some time now, and he has always looked young for his age (good thing he doesn't know about this blog, or he would probably be pretty upset at me for saying so), so in my mind, my brother is somewhere between 8 and 10 years old. Which makes me around 19, which is fine - that's how old I feel, so why should I actually be any older than that? I have a friend who is always telling me that he wants to be 40, or even older. I always say, why rush? Why not enjoy each day as it lasts? He says he wants the wisdom now that he will have when he is that old. I maintain that it is better to take the experiences of each day and enjoy the process of gaining that wisdom. Another friend is constantly telling me that he is getting old, that he is not as young as he used to be. I guess that's true - but to me, it's all in the mind. You can be as young as you feel. Which is why it is startling to me that my baby brother is already 18. Because when I slow down and see how responsible I am, how I work full-time like an adult, it shocks me to see that practically speaking, I am a grown-up. But I refuse to let go of my childhood enthusiasm. Because when we are young, and have less concerns, we enjoy life more. In all honesty, I know I don't get the opportunity to enjoy life enough. So I better make the most of each minute that I have the chance. And I still say that age is in the mind. So even though my brother is 18, I am clinging on to my youth as well. Happy Birthday, dear brother! Enjoy it while it lasts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home