.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Rosh Hashana Recap

I went to Detroit to spend Rosh Hashanah with a friend and her family. In order to ensure that there would be no problems with flight delays creeping into Yom Tov, we left on Sunday. This early departure actually gave me the opportunity to share with my friend's family something I had never before done - prepare for Yom Tov. I have made Shabbos meals before, and helped a little bit with Pesach preparations, but had never had the experience of living in the house that I was going to be spending all of Yom Tov, being there for the before, during and after. I got to go grocery shopping, peel fruits and veggies, make my yummy cookies, set the table and wash dishes. I have been a guest so many times, it was such a great feeling to really make some kind of contribution to the Yom Tov, to feel like instead of just taking, I was giving something to my hosts. It made me a little more a part of my friend's family, and a part of the holiday where I usually feel I am on the outside looking in. Rosh Hashana in general was really nice - I spent it with a wonderful family whose hospitality I can't even find words to describe. They offered a mixture of warmth, intellectual stimulation, spirituality and sweetness (in honor of the new year, of course). I was a little under the weather, and in a shul that I had never davened in, so I have to admit that my davening did lack a bit of kavanah, but I am hoping to gear up in the next week for Yom Kippur. I hope everyone else had a great Chag - tell me your stories!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home