.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Channeling My Creativity

Since moving here, I have been feeling a longing to reinvigorate my creative side. Something about this city just brings out the artistic urge in me that has been laying dormant for way too long (though I have subdued it with minor attempts at not painting by number). In the past, I have nurtured my creativity by going through phases of playing with different artistic genres. I have gone through periods of painting, sewing, coloring, needlepoint, making jewelry, knitting and others. Last week, I decided it was time to paint again. I went through a painting phase a few years ago, and loved it. I made a few masterpieces which still hang on my wall (though some dull, boring people I lived with deemed them "scary"). This is one that graces my bedroom wall: I have never really received any formal painting instruction, but I do love doing it. Since my last painting phase, I had kept all my paint and brushes (which I had confiscated from my mother). Last week, I went to the crafts store and bought a few more paints and brushes and some canvas, and the last few nights I have been having so much fun! There is something that feels so good about being creative and turning a plain canvas into a beautiful picture. When I take out my brushes and paints and begin to see a picture emerging, it is such an incredible feeling. It makes me really happy. I don't care much if my painting turns out amazing, but I just like the feeling of putting different colors together and channeling my energy into the canvas. So, last night in order to keep my lonely feelings at bay, I painted. I am in the middle of a painting that with each layer I add, I like it more and more. After painting for half an hour (which I should have been spending writing a paper), I felt more calm, more happy and more at peace. I don't think I am quite ready to quit my day job, but I must admit that painting is a great way to end my day and relax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home