.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, August 02, 2004

Exploring New Places

I like driving. It gives me a chance to have quiet thinking time. I am not sure why I am unable to have quiet thinking time in my apartment, but I really like getting out on the road and driving off to some unknown destination, wherever my car leads me. So yesterday I was having a stressful morning, and by the time my inner klutz took over and I gave myself a nice injury, I decided it was time to get out of my apartment to take a drive and clear my head. I knew that Pennsylvania is directly north of Maryland, and that I could get there without too much complication, so I decided to head towards Amish country. The only other time I have been to Pennsylvania was one motzei Shabbos when a friend had a wedding in Gettysburg and I didn't want her to drive there by herself so late, so I went with her. But going at night, I really missed a lot. Driving up into Pennsylvania, the building get scarce and the hills and trees and water become more common. It has been raining on and off for the last few days, so everything was bright green and fresh looking. I found a spot next to a lake to pull off and I sat on the crisp grass, and watched a boy fishing with his family. I took off my shoes and walked through the grass and even got a little bit of mud on my feet. It was so nice, it made me feel like I was in the middle of the country (well, I kind of was). It was refreshing to get out of the city for a few hours and sit by the water, with the knowledge that no one knew where I was. Even though it was only for a little while, it was a real getaway, where my issues couldn't reach. I was only gone for a total of 3 or 4 hours, but it was enough to recharge my batteries. Sometimes all you need is some grass and water and trees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home