.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A Reason, a Season, or a Lifetime

I know this is true, and I know that every person cannot be a permanent fixture in my life, but it is always extremely bittersweet to me when I feel someone fading into the background of my life, their reason or season obviously complete. As someone who has moved around a lot in my life, this fading out has occurred much more than I would like. It is difficult to keep in touch with friends once you no longer live near them. Especially when they are in a different phase of their life from you, and you both are busy with many obligations and responsibilities. Maybe the friendship was based on your proximity to begin with - both people were a bit lonely and needed to give or take of the other person. Or maybe there really was some kind of lesson or message that was meant to be received or given by that person. I have a friend who I used to be extremely close with and has become progressively distant from me in the past year. At first I thought that I had done something to upset this person, but I didn't know what it was. I apologized, but it didn't seem to help. Then I realized that I was busier and busier and more distant, and so was she. I sensed that we were drifting apart, and it made me really sad. I am still in contact with this person on occasion, but it is not anything like our friendship used to be. I am very happy that we shared in each others' lives for the time we did, and I know I will never forget her, because she gave me love and support many times when I needed it. I hope that I didn't do anything to make upset her; that our drifting apart is just the natural splitting of ways that people take in life. She was there for a reason and a season, and while I am not saying a final goodbye, I know the time has come to let go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home