.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Brave New World

I finished reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley last night. I have to say that I was quite disappointed with the ending. I just want to touch on a few points that I found interesting about the book. First, the language used was really fascinating. Huxley has one of his characters say, "Words can be like X-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything." Huxley uses phrases through his book that are just so interesting, such as "so frighteningly clever" and "awful glad" and "success went fizzily." I also found Huxley's use of Shakespeare to be very poignant. Contrasting a world with no emotion to the world of Shakespeare gives such a set of extremes; Huxley admits no middle ground into the book. While the "Savage" (a name in which I find another interesting choice of word usage) was exposed to a world where emotion was experienced, he didn't seem to infuse any of it into his own life, instead choosing to fixate on Shakespeare's extreme worlds of tragedy as his example of what life is about. I don't think anyone could successfully live in either world Huxley portrays. Anyway, I had lots of other thoughts about the book but I am getting sick and my brain isn't working as well today as it should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home