.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

A few questions to ponder

I added my current favorite quote to my blog - I like it not for the genius part nearly so much as for the part about society providing molds for people. Gives me a lot to think about. I have a couple questions that I am pondering at the moment. The first is something that I would love to write a paper about, though I would need to do a lot more reading first. The second is just a life issue type of question to ponder. 1) In Plato's dialogues, Socrates states over and over that he doesn't know anything (except for in The Symposium, where he says that he does know about love). He also states in Crito that the unwise is evil (and this thought is echoed by Aristotle in Nicomachean Ethics). But then Socrates says that he is wise because he knows that he doesn't know. Okay, so if he doesn't know anything, then how can he be wise? Is wisdom different from having knowledge? Can you be wise without having knowledge? And if not knowing anything does equal being unwise, then is Socrates evil? 2) Why does it seem that to be considered "deep," a person must also be depressed? It seems to me that the people who are considered the deepest, heavy thinkers, are depressed and sad and that if you are happy and think that the world is good, then you are not, and can not be, considered deep. What does it mean to be deep anyway? My thoughts for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home