.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, December 29, 2003

More on The Twelfth Night

Have been reading more of The Twelfth Night by Shakespeare. The more of Shakespeare I read, the more I wonder about his life. I am sure there is a lot of information out there about Shakespeare and his life, but I feel like a lot of it is a lot of speculation. The truth is, I find his plays, even the comedies, sad. So many of the characters is his plays are pretending to be someone they are not. So many feel the need to deceive, to trick, to kill. Love is complex, often causing tons of pain and doubt. The thing that I find scary is, I feel like Shakespeare really did have insight. Maybe he was exaggerating real life, because that was what sold plays, but I feel like he based his plays on something real. Maybe the simple, everyday love of marriage and friendship wasn't interesting enough to write about, maybe that is still the problem with what we see on television and in the movies. Maybe we want to lose ourselves in stories that we feel we can never be a part of. Because I sure wouldn't want the life of any of Shakespeare's characters. Even the characters who fall madly in love with each other at first sight - I don't believe that passion like that leads to a couple being happy, look where it got Romeo and Juliet. But again, I guess meeting someone, finding that you respect them for many reasons and deciding to make them a permanent part of your life doesn't sell. So I guess my point is, while passion is something that a lot of people hope for, I think I would rather forgo passion for trust and security in the people who surround me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home