.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, December 22, 2003

Old Friends

I had a friend come visit me this weekend. We met six and a half years ago in Israel. We hadn't seen each other since, had kept up primarily through periodic phone calls. It was so interesting, because we got along great, but in a lot of ways, I felt like I was meeting a completely new person. There was so much I had never known about her, and I was really impressed. There are so many dimensions to a person that it really takes major quality time to find out about. She was really interested in a lot of the things that I have been learning about recently. She told me she had minored in philosophy in college, I never had any idea. She kept picking up the books that I have been reading, that all my friends have been making fun of me for reading, and she was really into them. We had some really deep discussions this weekend about our views on religion, people and what is right. I felt I could be really honest with her about the questions I have been thinking about lately. We really talked things out, not that we came to any major conclusions, but it gave me a lot to think about. I feel like I am going to be thinking about a lot of stuff for a long time. It was good to get together with someone who isn't part of what has become my normal, extremely homogenous world. I really like hearing other viewpoints and perspectives. I feel like it makes me into a more well-rounded person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home