.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, November 06, 2006

Parades and Protests

There has been so much said about the gay pride parade in Jerusalem that I'm not sure there is really anything for me to add. Even the speech on Shabbos at my shul was about it. I'll be honest - I have very mixed feelings (what's new?) about the thought of a gay pride parade in Jerusalem, a city where the most holy site I know resides. Not because I think that gay people don't belong in a holy city - they have every right to be there, but because I have seen lots of pictures of these parades and the images they invoke are often less than holy. It's totally about the actions that are performed than the movement behind the parade that bothers me.

That being said, the actions that are being performed in protest of the parade also trouble me incredibly. The chillul Hashem (desecration of God's name) being engaged in is disgusting, especially coming from those who claim religious piety and are setting fires, destroying and using violence on their holy city in defiance. For people who call themselves religious, and who I suppose I should feel some kinship to, I'm honestly embarrassed. The news accounts of these protests alone are enough to make me want to turn my back on "Orthodox Jews." (Note that I said Orthodox Jews, not Judaism, big difference.)

I know it's not all Orthodox Jews who are joining in these despicable efforts. But it truly saddens me to see just how low supposedly wholesome, religious people will act.

Do I think the gay pride parade should be held in Jerusalem? I honestly have mixed feelings. Robbie says very well why it should be. Dreaming of Moshiach posts a letter from rabbis about why the parade should be protested.

But I think David at Treppenwitz puts it the most eloquently. Please read.

It's the actions that are speaking so loudly right now.

7 Comments:

  • Excellent post, Shosh. I especially likes the links..

    By Blogger SemGirl, at 11/7/06, 3:07 AM  

  • Very sweet of you to say so. Thank you for the compliment... and the link.

    By Blogger treppenwitz, at 11/7/06, 3:32 PM  

  • Great post! Check out www.hayom.blogspot.com for a similar post!!!

    By Blogger ggggg, at 11/7/06, 5:13 PM  

  • all i could think when i saw the footage on cnn was that they looked like a bunch of rioting muslims l'havdil. this is their fun time out of cheder, you see.

    i don't agree with the parade, but i don't agree with the poor behavior on behalf of the frummies, either.

    By Blogger Maven, at 11/7/06, 7:33 PM  

  • Think the two sides are as bad as each other.

    * Don't have the parade in Jerusalem to deliberately provoke - have it in Tel Aviv where the larger gay population is. Makes more sense all round. Robbie doesn't address this point in his post.

    *Protestors - you give the parade more publicity when you protest. Much like how Satanic Verses was turned from some obscure book into an international best seller.

    By Blogger Dot Co Dot Il, at 11/8/06, 7:30 AM  

  • Shoshana,

    I purely loved this post. Being a treif-eating atheist, I appreciate your attitude and there is nothing in this post I could protest against, even feebly.

    Anyway, I see from your blogroll that we have quite a few mutual pen-friends, so it's quite time to exchange links. Done on my side.

    Come to visit. Best and cheers.

    By Blogger SnoopyTheGoon, at 11/9/06, 12:26 PM  

  • Sorry I'm so bad at responding to comments...here goes:

    Semgirl -
    Thank you.

    Treppenwitz -
    You're very welcome, you are an excellent writer.

    Lakewood Venter -
    Thanks. Hayom's post was excellent.

    Maven -
    Exactly.

    Rebbe -
    You are right, murder is against the Torah. I don't believe that anyone is actually engaging in homosexual acts at the parade, nor do I think the protestors setting Jerusalem on fire is going to keep them from doing so in the privacy of their own homes.

    Dot -
    I agree with what you say.

    Snoopy-
    Glad you liked. Thanks for the link, will post one to you soon.

    By Blogger Shoshana, at 11/9/06, 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home