.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, October 23, 2006

Home Sick :(

I'm home sick today :( It's a sentence that can only end in a frown. I am off to see a doctor later, which is something I rarely do, but I decided that there is a reason that I pay money for health insurance and I should make some use of it. I have to thank my very sweet friend for making me soup yesterday while we watched a video (she even sent me home with leftovers). While home today, I've decided that I am going to be productive and actually do homework before it's due. That way, I can justify sitting home all day, something I have trouble doing - it's just boring and a waste of time (and there is nothing good on TV during the day, though I will probably try to catch up on the stack of DVDs my father keeps sending me).

Haven't been writing much for several reasons - been really busy, haven't had much to say, and have had too much to say, but not things that I necessarily feel comfortable posting and/or are clear enough in my head to be written into a post.

Here's an excerpt from my not-so-clear thinking (which could also be influenced by the fact that I'm not feeling so well):

It just continues to amaze me how we relate differently to different people, and how our personalities can change from interaction to interaction. That's not to say that a person is schizophrenic, or not secure in who they are, or even mercurial to the point of putting on an act, trying to blend with the company they are in. But I find that certain people bring out certain things within us, and we react and respond differently in different situations. The core of who we are stays the same.

But...each individual's experience colors their perception of you, and your perception of them. We attribute things to people based on our own experience, rather than theirs. And vice versa. I've been finding this especially obvious in my group counseling class. Comments have been made by others that they assumed things about me that aren't true. And these assumptions are made based on their own lives, not mine. Things that I would never have assumed about others, because my experience is so different from those making the initial assumptions about me. Ok, that was probably really confusing, but I can't be more specific. But theh whole process has given me a lot of observational acuity, and an interesting birdseye-view perspective of how people observe each other that really blows me away. Our perceptions are so tainted, and it makes me wonder whether we can ever really see anyone else, or if we are so blinded by our own discoloration that it's impossible.

Anyway, deep thoughts not well-enough clarified while my brain isn't working so well. Sorry bout that.

Haveil Havalim #91 will be hosted here on Sunday - send your submissions to my e-mail address (it's up on the sidebar). Or you can submit them here.

10 Comments:

  • Feel better soon!

    By Blogger Irina Tsukerman, at 10/23/06, 2:55 PM  

  • Refua Sheleima!

    By Blogger SaraK, at 10/23/06, 4:41 PM  

  • feel better soon :)
    dont' work too hard on your day off!

    By Blogger Sarah Likes Green, at 10/23/06, 6:40 PM  

  • Refuah Shleimah! (Why didn't this show up until now on Sage...!?)

    By Blogger Ezzie, at 10/24/06, 12:24 AM  

  • feel better, I usually run to the Doctor with the first ache or symptome.
    But your way is better.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 10/24/06, 11:23 AM  

  • this is the second or third time you've posted something that i've thought about as well.

    one, how people respond differently (personality-wise) to different people.

    two, how people respond to other people based on their own life experiences. i've blogged about that one.

    i enjoy your intelligence and writing! refuah shleimah!

    By Blogger Maven, at 10/24/06, 11:46 AM  

  • Refuah Shleimah.

    I think it's a bit of both: We do make assumptions based on our personal experiences - because that's all we know - but we try to fit it into what we think the other person's experiences must have been. Of course, since the former is all we have to really go on and the rest is our imagination, even when we're close we're still way off. (That makes sense, btw. :) )

    By Blogger Ezzie, at 10/24/06, 3:32 PM  

  • Feel better.

    By Blogger Jack Steiner, at 10/24/06, 4:13 PM  

  • Thanks everyone for the get well wishes. I'm getting there.

    Maven -
    Great minds think alike :)

    Ezzie -
    I agree ;)

    By Blogger Shoshana, at 10/24/06, 4:24 PM  

  • Hope you are feeling better soon!
    :D

    By Blogger Baleboosteh, at 10/26/06, 4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home