.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Anne of Green Gables

When I was in junior high, my best friend encouraged me to read Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. It took a little bit of prodding before my friend managed to convince me to read it. From the title, Anne sounded boring - a prim and proper girl from the turn of the century who never did anything wrong. When I finally consented to read the book, boy was I surprised. Anne was so much fun! I have read it over many times since then, and I am reading it once again now. Anne is bright, full of imagination, constantly getting herself into scrapes and probably the most endearing character I have ever read. She gets carried away by fantasy, fiercely loves and cherishes her friends, and is loyal to the end. She is a dreamer and idealist and strives to be good, though sometimes falling short of that mark. Anne had a concept of "kindred spirits," people you connected with instantly; those who had some quality that forged an understanding link. Sometimes there is no reason for why the two connect; you just happen to speak the same language. I have felt those connections throughout my life, a kindred spirit was special to Anne and it is special to me as well. There was something about Anne that I related to. Her adventurous spirit, her desire to experience new things and learn about a wide array of topics. Her way of appreciating all the beauty of the world. I am not sure everyone would like Anne; some would probably think she is silly or too flighty. But I know I appreciate her for her flaws as much as her positive attributes. And I will read Anne of Green Gables again and again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home