.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Desperate Housewives

I was listening to the radio this morning on my way to work and they were discussing a new show called "Desperate Housewives." I haven't seen the show, so I don't really know what it is about, but apparently it is extremely popular. Why is it so popular? According to the radio program, it is popular because it is a view of women who are unhappy with the suburban dream of big house, 2.5 kids and eating bon-bons all day long. And that view is something that today's women can relate to and enjoy watching. I am troubled by that. This show is drawing over 21 million people per week who enjoy commiserating with women who are openly unhappy about their marital and social settings. Viewers are enjoying the show because they identify with the characters, and feel that their voices are finally being aired by this television show. I am troubled because I have to wonder why so many women can relate to the show. Why do so many women feel stifled and underserved by their marriages and social situations? Why are so many women unsatisfied with their families? There are so many outlets these days for women. I think part of the problem is that once a woman gets married and starts having children, she feels that she has to play a role and has no options. But I don't think this is true. And I think it is imperative for a woman to do what is right for her, because I feel like her happiness, rather than frustration, will make a huge difference to her whole family. I am not suggesting that women should abandon their families and not take them into consideration at all when making decisions. I just don't feel like women have to tie themselves into the traditional role if they feel it makes them unhappy. I don't see myself being happy being a stay-at-home mother. I think it will be better for my future children if I work outside the home for part of the day. That way, when I am home, I will appreciate being there and I will feel like I have more outlets for myself than just my children. (Please note that I don't think there is anything wrong with staying at home, I just don't feel like it is for everyone.) So I am sad that so many women can relate to "Desperate Housewives." I think women need to really look inside themselves and discover what would make them happy, and take steps (working with their families) to make those things happen. The radio show was impressed that "Desperate Housewives" was airing such a hidden peek at the real world of suburban women. I am disheartened to know that so many housewives are so desperate to be free of their constraints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home