.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, February 23, 2004

Friends Are Good

It was one of those weekends where I began wondering how I was going to find things to fill the time, and when it ended I couldn't believe where all the time went. I have to say that this weekend made me appreciate my friends once again. Just the fact that I have such a nice, varied group of people that I can call upon and who call upon me is such a great thing, and I know how lucky I am to have such a chevra. Saturday night a friend who I hadn't seen in a long time called me out of the blue saying that she was in town. She came over, we caught up and then we went to a shiur by Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb, of Congregation Shomrei Emunah (my shul). He gave a talk to "older" single women in the community about dating. I was concerned that the talk would be the typical chizuk, "every date is one closer to your bashert" talk. But it wasn't, at all. I was so impressed. He told us that we need to look closer before saying no to a date, and we need to realize that a lot of the things that we feel are so important to look for in a guy are not as big of issues as we think they are. He also said that we need to look for new ways to meet potential dates, because being set up by a stranger just doesn't make that much sense. Thank you, Rabbi Gottlieb. I think I need to start going to shul more often. I really like the direction he is giving to the congregation. I just ordered the new book club book, "One People, Two Worlds" and plan on making that the next book on my list. A friend of mine came to talk to me yesterday about some issues she was having with another of our friends. She talked and talked and I just listened for a long time. It was what she needed. But it was so interesting listening to her. I realized that small things really make a big impact, even if you don't know it. Going to someone for help can be as big a thing as being there for them. And you have to be incredibly careful about everything you do, because you never know how what you do will end up being an example for someone else, and sometimes not in the way that you ever imagined it would be. Finally, I have to throw a humungous "THANK YOU!" out to my friend Jennifer, who gave me the information for a large piece of the project that is due today, that I started working on yesterday, with no idea that I wouldn't be able to find some of the information that I needed. And she brought me back incredibly cool beads from Mardi Gras. Old friends, new friends, sometimes friends. They all make up your life, and contribute to your happiness so much. I am so lucky. Thank you guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home