.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Quite a Day

Yesterday was quite a day for me. I did two things that I haven't done in a really long time - I went to the dentist and I went to school. Ok, ok, I know you are supposed to go to the dentist every six months, but somehow I got confused and thought that they meant every six years. (Fine, so I didn't really think that, just wished.) But I mustered up my courage and walked into the office and sat down in the dreaded chair. And you know what? It wasn't that bad! I couldn't believe it. I didn't have a single cavity (thanks to excellent home dental care and flossing regularly), and though they are already talking about cutting my mouth open to snatch my wisdom teeth from my jaw (I think they would be missed terribly), there is nothing imminent that needs to be done. I faced my fear and it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. The other big thing of yesterday is that I started school. Had my first day of statistics class. While that might sound horrendous to other people, I am actually fairly decent at math and the class shouldn't be so hard for me. Of course the professor is having an extra session to explain the computer software to us on Saturday so I will have to miss out on that, she seems to be pretty cool. I have decided that my goal for the semester is to make all A's. I really feel like if I work at it, I can do it. It would definitely give me a sense of accomplishment, something that I don't know that I have had in a long time. So all in all, the day that I have been dreading for the past few weeks was not as bad as I thought. On another note, I got a thank-you note yesterday from a friend of mine who recently had a baby. I helped her out a bit, baking and helping her around the house a little. The note was so nice and gave me such a warm, fuzzy feeling. It is nice to be appreciated, especially for something that I didn't think so much about doing. It really confirmed the fact that it is the little things that you do that really make an impact on others. Even when you are not thinking so much about helping someone out, it could make all the difference to that person. So, three lessons for the day: 1) Face your fears, they may not end up being as bad as you think. 2) It is the small acts of kindness that make such a difference in someone's life. 3) Dont' forget to floss.