.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Lessons from Moving

I'm all moved in to my new place. It was a stressful ordeal, from beginning to end. And I still have a lot of work to do, but it's really the good kind of work - organizing and getting everything all pretty in my new place.

Throughout this whole situation, I've learned some things about myself and about others. Since I don't have anything to write about at the moment, I figured I would share.

About myself -

- It's ok to ask for help. It takes a lot to get me to that point, but when I do, the world does not come crashing down nor do I lose my strengths. There are just some things that I can't handle all by myself.
- I'll persevere.
- The little things really do mean a lot to me. The small things that people have done for me have meant a lot.
- When I am a good friend to someone, they are often a good friend in return.
- When in stress, it's good to get away from it and enjoy times that are completely unrelated to the situation. It gives me energy to get through more.
- I suck at packing ;)

About Others -

- People help in the ways they can. This may not always be the way that I need help. But they do what they can to the best of their ability.
- Some people really come through in times of need. They go out of their way, at their inconvenience, to do what they can to help.
- Some people really only care about themselves.
- Often, those you wouldn't have expected to be there, are. These people are sometimes those you don't even know that well.
- Some people are really thoughtful and their shows of concern are very special.
- Some people are really good at packing.

About Life -

- A situation like this is not the end of the world. It will pass, though it is genuinely stressful.
- You have to have perspective.
- Hang on tight to those people who are really there for you - they are worth having in your life and working to keep in your life.

All in all, I don't want to do this again. People keep telling me that I'll be able to look back and see that it is all for the best - I have to admit that I'm not sure, that I have my doubts. But I got through, and I found some real friends and some qualities in people that I hadn't before seen. I'll take what I can from the experience.

4 Comments:

  • "People keep telling me that I'll be able to look back and see that it is all for the best" - it may not be obvious now or even in a few months or even ever but your whole post is lessons from moving so whatever they were help you grow as a person and that is always good. Why things occur, we do not know. Only G-d knows. We can only take the lessons from each situation and put them to use in the future. (Which you are doing.) Have that perspective you talk about, even in really stressful situations that may take a long time to recover from.

    (Lucky I wasn't one to help you pack... I also suck at it!)

    By Blogger Sarah Likes Green, at 8/14/07, 9:37 AM  

  • i heard somewhere that moving is the #3 stressor in life. #'s 1 and 2 are death and divorce.

    By Blogger Maven, at 8/14/07, 6:47 PM  

  • And in case you do ever need to move again, Tizzle and Missel Moving Company serve the entire Tri-State area!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/17/07, 10:50 AM  

  • Hi Shoshy,

    Nice to read that you finaly moved:) I allready moved and it was quite messy.But thanks to my friends it was not a big deal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/24/07, 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home