.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What Punctuates Your Life?

I was chatting with Sarah this morning, who has indicated on her Facebook status that she is a squiggle. I asked her what that meant exactly, and she told me that it's like her curly hair and her blog picture, but also like life - up and down - these days. I could relate to that.

It made me think about the end of my group counseling class. The week before our last class of the semester, my professor asked us to think about what punctuation would be representative of the end of the semester. And life in general.

At any point, your life would be signified by a question mark, in which you have lots of questions and possibly not a lot of answers. Where you are exploring and curious. Or wondering and waiting. My time learning about Orthodox Judaism comes to mind for the question mark - wanting to know what it was all about, asking tons of questions. Also, moments in time when I am waiting for an answer - acceptance to grad school, trying to figure out where I am was going to live last year. A year from now, when I will have completed my Master's Degree and am trying to figure out what I want to do next.

It could also be punctuated by an exclamation point - exciting, adventurous, climatic. My adventures in sky diving remind me of an exclamation point. Also, this summer, which has already been full of simchas, could definitely be signified by that symbol of excitement.

I hope to rarely have a moment punctuated with a period. It seems that it would be incongruent even with my writing style to end something on such a closed note, since one thing always seems to lead to another, and on and on. But I suppose it must happen some time.

Commas are good for continuation and connection. I think Jewish Geography would be signified with a comma, because one connection always seems to lead to another. I also like commas, because I have a hard time figuring out where they should be replaced by semi-colons, and prefer just sticking with what's simple. And the fact that I don't do rules so much, so even if commas are in the wrong place - so be it! I don't care.

But the final option my professor gave us is the punctuations I identify with the most, and it is the punctuation that I chose to embody the end of that semester. The ellipse...it allows things to flow...it signifies no real ending...it symbolizes expectations of things to come...without really knowing what will...some loose ends, as there always seem to be...Yep...the ellipse seems to work for me...

10 Comments:

  • I have the worst attention span ever.

    I didn't even read the ellipse part before linking to this...!

    Anyway... I'm a dash. Or an ellipse.

    By Blogger Ezzie, at 6/26/07, 4:18 PM  

  • I'm a question mark WITH an exclamation mark:

    ?!

    People always look at me, and have to ask: "What?!!!"

    I think I can be surprising, unpredictable, and disconcerting or even unnerving at times. And my life is like that all the time. Surprise after surprise. It's like a game, almost.

    By Blogger Irina Tsukerman, at 6/26/07, 5:16 PM  

  • Ellipse is a term in geometry. The word you are looking for is ellipsis. The plural for ellipsis is ellipses.

    By Blogger Ayelet, at 6/26/07, 8:08 PM  

  • :::sigh::: English majors. :P

    By Blogger Ezzie, at 6/26/07, 8:18 PM  

  • what about an asterix? like to show there's more information to follow? there is the information you see at first as you read but the little asterix star shows that there's more to it, background to that original writing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/27/07, 12:30 AM  

  • Ezzie -
    LOL

    Irina -
    You should see when I tell people I want to be an astronaut. That certainly gets an "?!"

    Ayelet -
    Oh well. Point noted.

    Sarah -
    I like that one :)

    By Blogger Shoshana, at 6/28/07, 2:49 PM  

  • I dunno. I'd probably have a "..." at most points in my life, because everything's in a perpetual state of change...
    By the way, I tagged you. You can see my blog if you don't know what that is...

    By Blogger Shmuel, at 6/29/07, 3:33 PM  

  • :-)

    By Blogger ggggg, at 7/1/07, 3:22 PM  

  • I'm a ?! and then ..... what and then some more

    btw-I tagged you too. didn't realize jewmaican already did.

    By Blogger come running, at 7/2/07, 12:59 PM  

  • Come running, maybe you got her first...

    By Blogger Shmuel, at 7/2/07, 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home