.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Story

In my last post, I discussed some of the changes that have happened in my life in the last 10 years. One of the major components of these changes is my religious observance. In response to my mentioning this change in my religious observance came several requests for my "story" about how I became more religiously observant. I found my response to these requests interesting.

I was going to write a post discussing what I felt about these requests, but I just realized that I already did, on Beyond BT, a while back. In re-reading the post, I think it's pretty accurately outlines my feelings. It's also the reason why, despite several requests from readers, I have refrained from posting my "story" on my blog.

I also think that the request for a "story" gives me pause because the story is ongoing - it is my life. And to try to point out a starting and stopping point in it would be foolhardy and incomplete. I'm not a finished product, not by a long shot. And as much as I couldn't have predicted 10 years ago where I would be today, I hope that today I wouldn't be able to predict my life 10 years from now. Change is progress (in it's ideal state). And so I hope my story continues to unfold.

8 Comments:

  • Good point how no one -- FFB, BT, or anyone else -- is a finished product. From the moment a person is born, they are constantly evolving into a different person.

    By Blogger Sarabeth, at 6/18/07, 12:06 AM  

  • I don't see why you can't take a snapshot of who you are now and whence you came from, all the while recognizing that this isn't the end, you can change your opinion (although I have never known a woman to do that!). When you put things in writing it forces you to face them, hopefully honestly. It also gives you the ability to return to the post and use it as a frame of reference for you progress or evolution. It also gives others a chance to comment and perhaps challenge you or make you think.

    Thanks for letting us into your story. It IS interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more.

    By Blogger smoo, at 6/18/07, 11:52 AM  

  • Amen! Well said. (both here and on BT)

    I miss this blog; I haven't been around for a while...

    By Blogger Bas~Melech, at 6/20/07, 3:35 AM  

  • Sorah -
    Let's hope we are always evolving.

    Smoo -
    You're right. It is important to look back in order to progress forward. And thank you.

    Bas Melech -
    Welcome back :)

    By Blogger Shoshana, at 6/20/07, 2:15 PM  

  • I read the post that you had linked to...
    I hope I didn't intrude in your personal space when asking for "your story" as you so succinctly put it.
    However, I'm not quite sure how much I agree with you. I know from personal experience that things can get tedious after too much repetition, but I do also know that no matter what, we must always acknowledge the past. I'm not saying you don't; on the contrary, you recognize where you come from, and it just seems to me that you don't identify with the person you were then. And you shouldn't, in that fashion. Hopefully, we're all growing. But we can't forget where we came from. "M'Ayin basa, uL'an atah holech", and all that. And our past is a definition of ourselves. Not of the entire self, but certainly a big part.
    I can't help the fact that I went to a certain high school that really wasn't the best place for me. But I do know that I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't gone there then. So while the school doesn't define me, per se, it helped REfine certain choices in my life...
    Make any sense, or am I just rambling?
    P.S. in any event, the "FFB"'s need a little inspiration every now and then. Help us out a little...

    By Blogger Shmuel, at 6/22/07, 9:02 AM  

  • Jewmaican -
    No intrusion. I am fully aware and not at all embarrassed or ashamed of my past. In fact, I absolutely believe that every bit of my past has brought me to the place that I am today. And I am very grateful to my non-religious family for many of the lessons I was taught growing up, so I certainly wouldn't turn my back and deny where I come from. I guess what bothers me about telling my "story" is just that taking such a narrow snippet of my life and expecting it to explain how I got to where I am is necessarily going to leave an incomplete picture. But, if you found it inspiring, then by all mean, enjoy :)

    By Blogger Shoshana, at 6/22/07, 3:37 PM  

  • I did find it inspiring, and I continue to find it inspiring as well...

    By Blogger Shmuel, at 6/26/07, 3:23 AM  

  • Great response acknowledging your past Shoshana.
    We are who we are, each and every day, is a page turning over bringing context and meaning.Go Girl!

    Mr Bagel

    By Blogger Mr Bagel, at 7/7/07, 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home