.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Israel - Still on my Mind

I haven't been blogging much about Israel lately. It's not because I've ceased to follow the news, or that I no longer care now that formal war has come to an end. It's because I just don't understand what's going on these days. Apparently, I'm in fairly good company.

It just blows my mind that Israel has failed to secure the return of the soldiers for whom they initially went to war for. And that in the meantime, without any such positive steps being made, they continue to give in to the demands of those who are evil and the antithesis of their mission. I can't comprehend, or even begin to understand, what is going on in Israel these days.

And on the other hand, I am overwhelmed by a connection to it all, by a feeling of wanting to be there, that I didn't feel before. A feeling of unity with my fellow Jews, and of being away from my homeland.

I can't explain why I feel more strongly about Israel now than I did before. Maybe it's because when the things you take for granted are threatened, you must all of a sudden fight for them. And that strengthens your connection to those things. And maybe it's because I don't know where my home is any longer, but I do know the connection I feel when I am in Israel. That feeling like I belong there, like nowhere else on earth. Even though I've only spent a small slice of my days there. But it does beckon somehow.

Which is another reason I can't understand why those in power in Israel seem so set on giving it up. Those who have been entrusted to protect, defend and strengthen our land seem to want to give her away, piece by piece, day by day. I don't understand it. Especially when they are giving it to those who hate, openly, their constituents and those they are supposed to be protecting. I don't have much more to say, because I am quite confused. For now, I'll keep reading quietly, and hope and pray that things turn around.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home