.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, December 15, 2005

What Would You Do?

Last night in class we were discussing career counseling. One of the techniques used in career counseling to discover what a person really enjoys doing is asking some thought-provoking questions. One of the questions, that I found particularly interesting was, "If you found out you had a terminal illness, how would you live the rest of your life?" So I thought a little bit about it. I would definitely quit my job. If I had long enough to live that I needed the money in order to pay bills, I would take some part-time job that would pay just enough to allow me to pay for what I need, but was meaningful and where I felt I was making a difference. I would want to help people, whether it meant coooking meals for the homeless or taking care of underpriveleged kids. I would also make sure to spend as much time as possible with my friends. Because the people in my life are the most important thing. I would make a great effort to express to my friends all my gratitude for what a difference they make in my life. And I would tell them, explicitly, all the wonderful things that I admire about them, and make sure they knew that I appreciate their good qualities. To the few of those in my life who I feel need helpful suggestions, but I have been holding back in fear of hurting their feelings, I would probably be more honest with them, albeit in a gentle manner, because it comes from a place of caring, and I would like to see them be happier. I would also spend some quality time with myself. To review my life, to write a lot, to think back on my fondest memories. Probably cry a bit. Talk to Hashem a lot. I would indulge and spoil myself some. Buy the full-fat ice cream, some really good chocolate. Drive to places I haven't seen, maybe see parts of the world that I have missed until now (there's lots of them). I would have fun. I don't know if I would feel the need to do more skydiving, but I would love to go scuba diving, and swim with dolphins. Lie on the beach at night and count the stars, while listening to the ocean. Sit in a park admiring the beauty of the world. Watch the ducks swim and hear children laugh. See the Grand Canyon and walk in a forest. So why don't I do all these things now? Why wait until I only have a little time left? It's a good question. Part of it is being practical - money keeps me from doing some of it. But it doesn't keep me from it all. And some of it I do now - and wouldn't change. Anyway, I don't know if I have found a career by all this dreaming, but it certainly gave me lots to think about! What would you do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home