.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Friday, December 16, 2005

It's a Small World?

I often hear the phrase "it's a small world." You know how it goes, you meet someone new, you play Jewish geography a bit and find that you know quite a few people in common. Inevitably, someone throws out the phrase, "It's a small world." But the truth is, I wish it was a lot smaller. Physically smaller that is. Because I have moved around so much, and because my friends have moved around so much, I have friends scattered all over the globe. And that makes it hard to see them. And I miss my friends so much. Because I have a full-time job, it's hard to take time off regularly to visit friends and family. And it's hard to see everyone. There are so many people who invite me for Shabbos, but they are several hours away, and I can't get away all the time. I have a friend who lives in another state, and not one of those states that is close enough to drive to on a regular basis. We lived in Baltimore at the same time, living in the same apartment complex. When I was down, when she was down, when we were bored, for whatever reason, we would get together, take a drive, air our discontents and just enjoy each other's company. We now often reminisce about those days past, when it was so easy to spend time together, to keep each other company. We miss those days terribly, and often speak of how we miss Baltimore. But we both know that the Baltimore that we miss doesn't even exist anymore. Because it wasn't just the two of us that made the times so great - there was a whole support group of friends to pass the time and share each other's company. To lie on the couch with, to share dinners, and to give hugs when needed. Because it's such a big world, and people move on, it's so hard to keep the connections. It's hard to call or e-mail, because it just isn't the same as having face time or great adventures together. I can go away for a weekend here and there, but I can't manage to see everyone on a regular basis, and because of that, some friendships do fall through the cracks. And it makes me sad. So, as much as it does seem like a small world, sometimes, I kinda wish it was smaller. Or that all the people I love would live in the same place. Have a good Shabbos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home