.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Random Kindness

Almost every day during my lunch break, I take a walk down to the drugstore a few blocks behind my office. It gives me the opportunity to get out into the fresh air and get a break from my computer. I know it's completely ridiculous that I make up some kind of little something that I need from the drugstore, but it really refreshes me and gives me the energy to get through the last few hours of work. The clerk there knows me by now and we always exchange pleasantries. I also see some of the same customers there on occasion, though I haven't made any friends among them yet. It's about a ten minute walk each way to and from my office, so I usually shop fairly quickly so I can get back within my thirty-minute lunch break. Today I decided the necessity du jour was a little bit of chocolate (we all get those cravings from time to time). As I was browsing through the candy aisle, an older woman next to me was shaking her head and mumbling about how she couldn't find the candy she wanted. I asked her what she was looking for and tried to help her locate it. Unfortunately, what I located was the spot where her candy should have been - and was sold out. She was disappointed and said she was going to let the employees "have it" (though personally I think it wouldn't have been too harsh a scolding). After finding the chocolate that I wanted, I was wandering through the aisles on my way to get some water, when I noticed the candy the woman wanted in a special display. I went back to the candy aisle, found the woman still there, and guided her over to the special display, pointing out her desired candy. She was so delighted. She thanked me profusely and went on and on about how thoughtful I was. It is amazing how little a thing can make such an incredible difference in one's day. And I am talking about my day as well. It didn't take much to brighten up both of our spirits. A minute and a kind word. I hope I get the opportunity to many more such acts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home