.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Isn't it pretty?

Monday, December 31, 2007

Family

I spent this past weekend in Buffalo at the funeral and shiva of my grandfather. I haven't attended very many funerals and my grandfather is probably the closest individual I've known who has passed away. It was a draining, stressful experience, for many people, and much more for others than myself, but I certainly feel the pain of having lost someone I love.

The weekend itself was actually a pretty positive experience. The funeral was a nice service, with beautiful sentiments made about my grandfather. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I learned quite a few things about him at the funeral that I hadn't previously known. It was really interesting hearing people talk about him - because I heard some things that actually reminded me of myself, so I feel a bit of my grandfather lives on inside me.

I didn't grow up near my grandparents, so my interactions with them have been limited to sporadic visits over the years. But I remember my grandfather sitting back, cracking sarcastic one-liners and just being terribly cute.

He and my grandmother were married for 61 years. My grandfather loved my grandmother so much, right to the end. He was always so sweet to her. I hope I get the opportunity to experience a love like that sometime in my life.

The weekend, while not for a happy reason, did give me the chance to spend a nice bit of time with my family, some of whom I hadn't really spent that much time with in my entire life. I feel grateful for that.

In general, the whole thing made me realize how important family is, something that I often don't comprehend so well. I don't visit my family very often, but I am going to make an effort in the future to do so. I don't want to learn about my family members at their funerals. I want to learn about them and spend quality time with them now.

9 Comments:

  • baruch dayan emes.

    hug.

    By Blogger Maven, at 12/31/07, 11:00 PM  

  • I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I'm sure your presence was a big comfort for your family.

    By Blogger SuperRaizy, at 1/1/08, 10:14 PM  

  • I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like your grandfather was a very good man.
    May you be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

    By Blogger Susan, at 1/2/08, 12:28 AM  

  • I had a similar experience when my grandfather died. I spent the entire week of shiva with my grandmother, mom and 2 uncles. It was quite intense, but so comforting to be with family and visitors. I hope you are successful with your effort to spend more time with family; It can be tough at times, but I think it's something none of us will regret.

    By Blogger SaraK, at 1/2/08, 11:14 AM  

  • it's great that you can take the positive out of such an experience and use it to improve in the future.

    By Blogger Sarah Likes Green, at 1/2/08, 5:54 PM  

  • Baruch Dayan HaEmes.

    Your grandfather's neshama should have an Aliyah, and he should be an advocate for all of us...

    By Blogger Shmuel, at 1/3/08, 7:09 AM  

  • To you and your family

    תנחמו מן השמים

    By Blogger Ehav Ever, at 1/12/08, 10:58 PM  

  • Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

    I recently attended a funeral and had a similar awakening, as far as visiting family goes. Time races by so quickly and sometimes opportunities are gone before you know it.

    By Blogger HopSkipJump, at 2/20/08, 5:52 PM  

  • Oh heck, sorry. Funerals are bad at the best of times, particularly when they're close relatives.
    Wishing you a long life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/08, 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home